Just about every week, my family has a taco night or a pizza night. We mix it up and use different ingredients most of the time. Sometimes we like to combine the two. If taco pizza sounds a little odd to you, give it a try. I’ve had some unusual pizza toppings – like the delicious chicken caesar salad pizza at Mellow Mushroom – and this is definitely one that has become a regular on our menu.
Like many of my recipes on One Mama’s Daily Drama, it can be made entirely from scratch. You can also use store-bought ingredients to save some time or even leftovers from taco night if you have them.
Taco pizza recipe
- 2 pizza crusts (This is my favorite recipe, but this cornmeal crust is also fantastic.)
- 16 ounces refried beans
- 12 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 recipe Tex-Mex beef taco meat
Start by prepping the crust if you’re making it from scratch. You can also make the refried beans from scratch. I just heat and mash a can of pinto beans with about a tablespoon of bacon grease.
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Cook the beef according to the Tex-Mex taco recipe. I include onions.
Assemble your pizza. Spread a layer of beans over the pizza crust. Top with a handful of monterey jack cheese. Spoon on the taco meat. I would estimate that I used just under half a pound per pizza in this version, but you could easily do fine with less. Top with another handful of cheese.
Bake the taco pizza in the oven at 500 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.
Feel free to experiment with additional toppings. We have occasionally added a dollop of sour cream or guacamole to the pizza after it’s cooked. I originally made this with salsa in place of the sauce, but at the suggestion of a commenter, I swapped it to refried beans. Now we always make it this way!
If you make the cornmeal crust, this is basically a giant tostada.
- Prepare crust if making from scratch.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Cook the beef according to the Tex-Mex taco recipe.
- Assemble your pizza. Spread a layer of beans over the pizza crust. Top with a handful of monterey jack cheese. Spoon on the taco meat. Top with another handful of cheese.
- Bake the taco pizza in the oven at 500 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.