This chicken noodle soup recipe is the perfect meal when the weather gets chilly. It’s packed with delicious and healthy ingredients to keep everyone feeling their best.
At our house, the first sure sign of fall is runny noses. The combination of allergies, colds and a sudden change in the weather is a guarantee for all four of us every year.
Fortunately, I have an old family remedy passed down from my mother. She made it all the time when we were kids and I thought that this week was the perfect opportunity since all four of us are feeling the season.
Like any good family recipe, I’ve made a few changes along the way. I think this has just enough homemade to make it good and just enough store-bought to make it easy to make when you are already feeling iffy.
Mom’s chicken noodle soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots
- 1 celery rib
- 1/4 onion (white or red)
- 1 tablespoon herbs of your choice; parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme are a good combo
- 2 4-ounce cans chicken (or dice and cook a chicken breast, seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 4 cups water
- enough chicken or vegetable bouillon to make 4 cups broth
- 1 12-ounce box pasta (The kids get a kick out of alphabet letters)
Melt the butter in a saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat. If you are cooking raw chicken, prep and cook that first. If you are using canned, the veggies cook first.
Dice the vegetables and add them to the pan. While the veggies are softening, add the herbs and a little salt and pepper. Drain the canned chicken and add that if you’re using it.
Stir everything together well. Add the water and bouillon.
Bring to a boil and add the pasta. Cook for the time indicated on the pasta package, usually 6-10 minutes depending on what shape you have.
Serve hot with a side of crusty bread or crackers. This goes to school well in a thermos. If you’ve just got a case of the sniffles, you’ll be feeling better in no time.
If not, you could also try Hubby’s old family remedy: a hot toddy. For medicinal purposes only, of course.
Like this post? Subscribe!
- Weekly newsletter that includes the latest posts + tips on navigating the chaos of family life
- Access to The Printables Library with over a dozen free planning printables
- A 10% off coupon that can be used on anything at Keri Houchin Design each month that you remain a subscriber